systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Jun 14 08:32:13 UTC 2011

On Tue, 14.06.11 09:20, Denys Vlasenko (dvlasenk at redhat.com) wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-06-13 at 21:44 -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
> > > I wouldn't bother much if it would be just one tiny bit of strange code
> > > in systemd, but it is FAR from being the only such code. There are lots
> > > of similar stuff, and it's not accidental.
> >
> > It is definitely not accidental, but unless you have bugs to file, I
> > don't think complain generically about systemd architecture here is any
> > productive.
>
> Where, in your opinion, is the place to discuss systemd architecture?

systemd is being discussed on the systemd mailing list and on the IRC
channel. This is much like most projects are discussed on their
respective mailing lists and IRC channels, and you should know that.

> > We discussed systemd for quite a while here and it certainly
> > far from perfect, for some things probably not even "good" yet. But its
> > time to file bugs for real problems, not time for bike shedding on
> > architectural decision that have been taken quite a while ago.
>
> I disagree, and I find the attitude "we are developers, you are idiot"
> both quite common and quite wrong.

Oh come on. I have wide open ears. If people make constructive
suggestions we listen, and we change things. We'll not change everything,
and not without very good reasons, but claiming we wouldn't listen is
just insulting. I am pretty sure you you will find a bunch of people who
will testify that we implemented a feature they requested on this ML, on
bz, at a conference, on IRC or some other place for them. Or we fixed a
bug for them, or we even changed behaviour of systemd in one way or
another on their request. Making a good case, being polite and
convincing gets you a long way. systemd is developed in the open. You
can easily participate in various ways.

However, if you come overly late to the party, are insulting and
demanding, imply we are idiots OR SHOUT ALL THE TIME, then we might be
less willing to consider your requests.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.