[FHS] helper scripts location

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Jun 14 08:49:39 UTC 2011

On Mon, 13.06.11 17:41, Miloslav Trmač (mitr at volny.cz) wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 5:36 PM, Lennart Poettering
> <mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> > On Mon, 13.06.11 14:27, Matthew Garrett (mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org) wrote:
> >> It's a directory for arch-dependent stuff that should only exist once on
> >> a system, whereas lib is for arch-dependent stuff that may exist for
> >> multiple architectures on one system. I have no opinion on whether that
> >> distinction is important.
> >
> > That is not really how it is. /lib is for arch-dependent stuff including
> > the libraries of the primary arch. Libraries for secondary archs are
> > then put in /usr/lib{64,arch}/.
>
> On x86_64 the 64-bit arch is primary and the 32-bit arch is secondary.
>  Surely the 32-bit files don't belong to /usr/lib64?
>    Mirek

Oh, well, let me clarify this: the executable binaries are actually not
subarch-dependent: i.e. a 32bit process can spawn both 64bit and 32bit
binaries, and a 64bit process can spawn both, too. That means there is
no need to ship both versions of a binary, and while *arch-dependent* an
executable binary is not *subarch-dependent*. That means private
binaries unconditionally belong in /usr/lib, regardless for which
subarch they are compiled and you need only one version of them.

So putting this all together:

"/usr/lib is for arch-dependent stuff, including the libraries of the
primary arch, and all subarch-independent private executable
binaries. Libraries for secondary archs ("subarchs") are then but in
/usr/lib{64,arch}/."

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.