[Fed-Devel] Re: SYSTEMD: Give us a option for upstart

Rudolf Kastl che666 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 09:45:39 UTC 2011

2011/6/13 Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>:
> Reindl Harald wrote:
>> and even on a new setup this should be a decision of the user
>> at the very beginning what init-system he wants to us
>
> No, the choice of this kind of core under-the-hood system components should
> be a decision of the distribution. To the user, it should be only an
> implementation detail. To the software on the distribution, it should matter
> that they can rely on the core system components being what they are and not
> have a user replace something as central as the init system.
>
> I think it makes no sense whatsoever to even OFFER upstart in F15+ as we are
> doing. I don't see any valid reason why you'd use it over systemd.

>From experience... i prefer having two tools available atleast to do
every single job (especially when they exist) because then i have an
easy fallback if one fails. Having upstart installed on rawhide during
the f15 rawhide cycles was quite helpful to work around boot bugs on
the fly without having to debug stuff or ending up with a nonbooting
system (which makes it hard to dig up ml threads with workarounds, or
up or downgrading packages). As long as someone maintains it i see no
reason to exclude upstart completly from the repos.

kind regards,
Rudolf Kastl

rhce rhca rhcss rhcx rhci
Red Hat Inc.