systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

"Andy Green (林安廸)" andy at warmcat.com
Tue Jun 14 10:31:04 UTC 2011

On 06/14/2011 11:17 AM, Somebody in the thread at some point said:

Hi -

>> Dude, systemd requires the functionality of the three modules it loads
>> explicitly.
>
> systemd requires ipv6.
> And you pitch systemd to be used by embedded devices.
>
> Do you really think all embedded devices will be happy with having such
> an arbitrary requirement? Heck, I know embedded device people who remove
> even ipv4!

IPv6 is optional though, Lennart says you can blacklist the module.  If
it acts gracefully if IPv6 is not builtin or installable by module then
all is well.

"Embedded" as an argument needs a lot of care.  It means several very
different things, but many of those things are out of scope for Fedora,
eg, ARM7.  (Use busybox there ^^)

For what's left, eg ARM9+ that you can run normal Linux and Fedora on,
ipv6 is going to be workable if the memory allows.  Looking a year or
two ahead, where "Embedded" will extend to Cortex A15 quad core, and
IPv6 will presumably have gained traction, the tradeoffs involved with
cutdown environments like busybox / dropbear and IPv4-only are going to
start being harder to accept.

So while it's super healthy to press system tools on bloat, it is quite
possible to deploy the "Embedded" argument to go too far and conflict
with what Fedora is and trying to do overall -- and what other Embedded
guys will want from it in future.  "Embedded" is generally converging
towards the kind of full strength systems we use on x86 today.

-Andy