[Fed-Devel] Re: SYSTEMD: Give us a option for upstart

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 11:08:28 UTC 2011

On 06/14/2011 04:36 PM, Rudolf Kastl wrote:
> I never proposed having alternatives for each of the core systems
> either... There is already a viable alternative that works. inittab
> contains atm exactly one line... the one with the default runlevel...
> and /etc/fstab can be parsed differently if there are changes.

systemd doesn't use /etc/inittab and upstart uses it.  So you have to
account for the differences and test them.

> Also i do not understand the Argument with the unit files... they are
> systemd related. upstart isnt affected. Since upstart isnt installed
> by default anyways it also doesent matter for "critical path". Got a
> hard time to follow your argumentation there. SystemV init scripts are
> already present and work quite well aswell.

You miss the point.  Packages are already dropping init scripts and
converting to using systemd unit files.  To maintain upstart
compatibility you have to continue to maintain sys init scripts in
addition to systemd unit files and again make sure they don't diverge
and they both work equivalently.   Who is volunteering for that?

Rahul