GNOME3 and au revoir WAS: systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 19:55:10 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 7:32 PM, Nathanael D. Noblet <nathanael at gnat.ca> wrote:

> Its worked super well for me (though less well with GNOME3's effects
> etc)... Can you point me to what you mean by the usual info into
> xorg.conf?  to be clear, I don't want to run *my* session over VNC. I
> want to be able to connect to a remote users *current* session to see
> and control their computer (while they see what I'm doing)... Does your
> message still apply?

I do this all the time to see a remote user's current session - I make
sure that in the remote machine in xorg.conf there two sections at
least above whatever else you need, containing:

Section "Module"
        Load  "vnc"
EndSection

and secondly

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
                Option      "passwordFile" "/path/to/vnc/passwd"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

The only line of relevance in the second "Screen" section is the
passwordFile option line which needs to be in that section.

Make sure that tigervnc-server is installed on that machine - then you
can connect to the remote server using the tigervnc client and see the
remote current session, including the login manager before the remote
user logs in - and you can control the remote desktop in the way you
describe for demonstration to the remote user and to check they are
doing things correctly. You can also log the remote user in after a
reboot for example - this is a really excellent way to manage Aunt
Tilly's machine at the South Pole if Aunt Tilly (of either sex) is not
an expert in using a computer, and you are networked at the North
Pole.

I hope that helps.

--
mike c