OpenBUGS program has a pre-compiled )S library from MS Windows. Any possibility to package it?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Jun 15 00:41:06 UTC 2011

PS:

Paul Johnson wrote:
> I was wondering if there could be an exception here, since the code is
> actually available and open.

Have you even looked at that "source code"? I just have:

1. They refer to the Window$ download for the code. That's a .EXE file
created with some proprietary installer generator (probably something that's
part of that "Black Box" crap), 7z cannot do anything with it (and it can
unpack at least self extractors and NSIS installers). Rather than running
that EXE in WINE to get at the .odc files, I decided to look elsewhere, and
in fact found their repository, but:

2. Here's the "source code":
http://openbugs.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/openbugs/openbugs/trunk/
Try to look at such a .odc file. You'll notice that ViewVC refuses to show
you the file because it's a binary! Look at it, you'll see some Pascal code
mixed with some opaque binary data which probably only "Black Box" (nomen
est omen…) can interpret.

I don't see this as being "open" source code at all.

I guess the binary metadata is an essential part of the code.

        Kevin Kofler