Proposal: retire bittorrent

Jon Ciesla limb at jcomserv.net
Wed Jun 15 12:37:44 UTC 2011

> I propose to retire bittorrent (the original python client) for the
> reasons outlined below. If anyone's interested in taking it over
> instead, please apply on the package database and I'll transfer
> ownership. Think carefully before you act though!
>
> Dead Upstream:
> ==============
> Well, not actually dead but upstream has gone closed-source as of
> version 6 so it's effectively dead.
>
> Old Version:
> ============
> Upstream's last open-source release (code dump really) was 5.3
> (http://download.bittorrent.com/dl/), which was little more than a GPL
> re-licensing of 5.2.2 and a dump of upstream VCS content. Fedora has
> been stuck with 4.4.0 though with its PyGTK GUI because the "new" GUI in
> version 5 was a rewrite with wxGTK but it didn't work with wxGTK > 2.6
> (http://bugzilla.redhat.com/223623) and so was unusable in Fedora.
>
> I believe Mandriva "solved" this problem by having transmission obsolete
> bittorrent-gui and just shipping the console version.
>
> Open Bugs:
> ==========
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/189072 (bittorrent doesn't die gracefully)
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/189295 (bittorrent is not utf-8 aware)
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/237254 (translations not working since python
> 2.4)
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/246879 (LSB-ize initscripts)
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/489810 (bittorrent stops seeding files, even
> when "seed indefinitely" is checked)
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/630569 (traceback due to argument parsing
> error)
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/678710 (crash due to not running via provided
> initscript)
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/707637 (RFE upgrade to 5.x)
>
> Some of these are probably quite easily fixed by someone that knows
> their python and is willing to dive into the code but they would have to
> be prepared to the de-facto new upstream maintainer if they wanted to
> take it on.
>
> Doesn't Obey Protocol:

My only concern is that there be a command-line replacement available.  I
currently fetch my ISOs with bittorrent-curses and screen.  Can someone
with experience with any of them offer a recommendation?  Python, C and
C++ clients especially.  I've searched, but there are many out there.

-J

--
in your fear, seek only peace
in your fear, seek only love