systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Wed Jun 15 14:12:22 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 21:23 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> The next example is apps that try to find out your IP address by
> looking
> up your hostname.  That's completely broken too.  Do you have multiple
> interfaces? Multiple IP addresses?  Are you behind NAT?  Yeah, all
> that
> will torpedo hostname->IP lookups.  Hostnames are *informational* and
> are never a good way to identify anything concrete on a local machine.
> That didn't used to be the case, but now it is.  Things change in 40
> years.

The hostname is still used a lot in many kerberos aware programs to try
to match the keys in keytabs, we are slowly trying to get over that by
matching any key that can actually decrypt the ticket you are receiving,
but still many programs initialize GSSAPI passing in the hostname. Until
all software is fixed (NFS server is still one of them although we are
in the process of fixing it) changing the hostname arbitrarily is still
problematic.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York