Proposal: retire bittorrent

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Thu Jun 16 02:08:15 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, June 15, 2011 07:12:56 AM Paul Howarth wrote:
> I propose to retire bittorrent (the original python client) for the
> reasons outlined below. If anyone's interested in taking it over
> instead, please apply on the package database and I'll transfer
> ownership. Think carefully before you act though!
>
> Dead Upstream:
> Well, not actually dead but upstream has gone closed-source as of
> version 6 so it's effectively dead.

we use it as the official torrent  server for torrent.fedoraproject.org we have
not found any other servers that work totally for us.  if we are getting rid
of it we should also look as using something else for the torrents we provide.

A nice thing to have is something that we can use with ipv6 and ipv4,  the
server that torrent.fp.o is on has both

Dennis