F15 / VirtualBox

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Jun 17 00:27:10 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-06-01 at 20:42 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> I've seen some reports of F15 not working in Virtualbox.  There's a few
> notes online about possible fixes.  Is there some way we can better test
> this in the future (I'm thinking about QA but that might not be the right
> place).
>
> Smolt has virtualbox rated as pretty common:
>
> http://smolts.org/static/stats/stats.html
>
> Just seems like we're potentially missing a lot of potential users there.
> It's preventing the default live CD from running.

I haven't heard this, in fact I heard the opposite - F15 was working
well in VBox and it was the only virt environment capable of running
Shell. Where are you seeing these reports?

QA does test virtualization - we test each pre-release as both host and
guest - but using Fedora's supported and packaged stack,
qemu/kvm/virt-manager, not VirtualBox, which is not a part of Fedora and
cannot be for policy reasons.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey