SYSTEMD: Give us a option for upstart

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Jun 17 01:49:43 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-06-13 at 07:58 -0400, Steve Clark wrote:
> On 06/13/2011 03:08 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> > > Having a quick look at the link and at the steps to reproduce the bug
> > > gave me shivers. Are we really sure that systemd is ready? I mean, I
> > > don't even call my code "alpha" if it can't parse a slash correctly.
> > How is it systemd's fault that the user's fstab is invalid?
> >
> >         Kevin Kofler
> >
> Maybe Fedora should adhere to Linus's rule that we don't have
> regressions that break users stuff.

This is impossible. Every piece of software has bugs, hence every piece
of software also has regressions. Some of these 'break user stuff'.

You can't write categorical rules like this, because all software has
bugs. All you can do is set appropriate policies for prioritizing how
you fix those bugs. Significant regressions are generally fixed at quite
a high priority in Fedora, and that is the case here: the bug in
question was addressed quickly after it was reported.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey