GNOME3 and au revoir WAS: systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

Vít Ondruch vondruch at redhat.com
Fri Jun 17 09:36:21 UTC 2011


Dne 17.6.2011 11:14, Ralf Corsepius napsal(a):
> On 06/17/2011 10:56 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Adam Williamson wrote:
>>> This is a common misapprehension, but it's not true. The reason for the
>>> large icon grid is actually that the developers did real world user
>>> research (yes, really!) and found that many people had significant
>>> trouble navigating the typical Windows / GNOME 2 nested menu system full
>>> of wide-but-short entries. They would lose levels in the nesting by
>>> moving the mouse a bit wrong. They would launch the wrong thing because
>>> the target area was too short. This was especially pronounced with poor
>>> pointing devices - particularly cheap trackpads on cheap laptops.
> Rest assured, it is not ... esp. on cheap trackpads on cheap laptops.
>
> With Gnome3 you 1stly have to tick on "Applications" (located left top
> on the screen), then hit this tiny scroll bar located ca. 1 in/2cm left
> of the right screen (not an easy task - Requires travelling almost the
> whole screen), then to navigate down several pages to find the
> applications your are looking for. When doing so, you often you are
> getting lost in non-self explanatory icons, with cryptic icon-names
> without tool tips, i.e you are not finding the app you are looking for.
>
> When working inside of another window, you now 1st have to switch the
> screen (to the Application screen), where formerly a simple "click into
> the toplevel menu" was required.
>

The workflow is:
1) Move the mouse to the to left corner (move is enough, you don't have 
to click. You even can drag and drop through activities, so learn to not 
click there.)
2) Type on the keyboard few character of the application name you want 
to run, e.g. "cal" and on your screen will be filtered "Calculator" and 
"LibreOffice Calc"
3) Click on the appropriate icon.

Or alternatively:

1) Move the mouse to the to left corner (move is enough, you don't have 
to click. You even can drag and drop through activities, so learn to not 
click there.)
2) Click on your pined favorite application icon.

If you go "Application" and try to find there you favorite app, then I 
have to congratulate to your patience. That was always the biggest pain 
of former DE to remember "Oh, where is the terminal, is it in 
accessories, system management or other group?" or "Is the browser 
office application or internet?". To be honest, I don't care.

>>> The Giant Grid O' Icons is navigable with a much higher success rate.
> I disagree - It's one of the aspects I am blaming Gnome 3 for to be
> lacking of SW ergonomy.
>
> A "simple application pane" is suitable for "kiosk-style" (smartphone)
> installations with only a very small set of apps installed, but is
> unsuitable for a "multipurpose desktop" with 100s or 1000s of apps
> installed (such as home installations or developers' installations).
>
> Ralf

May be you are not following the development of other desktops, but for 
example Windows 7 has the same principle. Open the start menu, type the 
application name and the filtered list appears. The only difference that 
windows shows by default icons of most favorite applications where in 
Gnome 3 you have pin them. But this is more or less similar to W7 
taskbar on the other hand.

So in conclusion it is not that surprising at the end, that W7 and G3 
are pretty similar. Also the icons are getting bigger on both platforms.

Vit


More information about the devel mailing list