GNOME3 and au revoir WAS: systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Jun 17 09:55:52 UTC 2011

On 06/17/2011 11:36 AM, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> Dne 17.6.2011 11:14, Ralf Corsepius napsal(a):
>> Rest assured, it is not ... esp. on cheap trackpads on cheap laptops.

> The workflow is:
> 1) Move the mouse to the to left corner (move is enough, you don't have
> to click. You even can drag and drop through activities, so learn to not
> click there.)
Apart of the fact, "track pad click" are disabled by default in F15's
Gnome3 (IMO: silly - They are enabled in Ubuntu), the click isn't my point.

With Gnome3, if only using a mouse/trackpad/pointing device, you are
travelling very long distances on screen - Much longer distances than in
Gnome 2 - This is a problem with "cheap trackpads" (My F15 test system
is a cheap, 1st generation atom-based netbook)

> May be you are not following the development of other desktops, but for
> example Windows 7 has the same principle.
Correct. I am not using Windows nor Mac OS X.

> Open the start menu, type the
> application name and the filtered list appears. The only difference that
> windows shows by default icons of most favorite applications where in
> Gnome 3 you have pin them. But this is more or less similar to W7
> taskbar on the other hand.
>
> So in conclusion it is not that surprising at the end, that W7 and G3
> are pretty similar. Also the icons are getting bigger on both platforms.
Well, it's obvious to me Gnome 3 is trying to immitate W7, OS X and iOS,
but ... may-be you may want to think about why users are not using these
and are using Linux instead?

One of the reasons used to be the Gnome2 DE being different from these
rsp. these other OSes not meeting this user's groups demands.

In other words: IMO, due the way Gnome3 is taking, Gnome 3 has thrown
away one of the key-advantages it had offered (and has become a W7 etc.
immitation cult) and thus has become non-interesting to at least some
Linux-users (e.g. me).

That said, IMO, Gnome 3 should be added a "classic" GUI-design, with
toplevel menus/cascaded, file-browser etc.

To me personally, Gnome 3 is the primary cause for currently evalutating
other distros and other DEs, and the primary (the secondary is systemd)
cause for not upgrading to Fedora 15.

Ralf