GNOME3 and au revoir WAS: systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Jun 17 10:29:00 UTC 2011

On 06/17/2011 12:16 PM, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> Dne 17.6.2011 11:57, Henrik Wejdmark napsal(a):

> It is useful when you are looking for something and you don't know what
> exactly it is. In that case, it is much much better then the previous
> menus, because you have nice overview on one page and moreover you have
> the possibility to filter by groups for example.
I disgree.

With F14/gnome2 you clicked on "Applications", then moved the mouse down
the menu and navigated through the submenues by hovering the cursor over
them. When doing so, you were presented tooltips outlining the purpose
of the apps. All this required the mouse/trackpad to move for only very
small distances.

With F15/gnome3 you are presented a pane of icons with
non-self-explanatory names, stretched over many screen, no tooltips, etc.
The distances a mouse had to move are much longer than they used to be.

The symbol-grounding issues (Which group might the app I am searching
for be classified under?) is basically the same in both approaches.

Ralf