GNOME3 and au revoir WAS: systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Jun 17 11:02:05 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 06:48:14PM +0800, Mathieu Bridon wrote:

> > > It is useful when you are looking for something and you don't know what
> > > exactly it is. In that case, it is much much better then the previous
> > menus,
> > > because you have nice overview on one page and moreover you have the
> > > possibility to filter by groups for example.
> >
> > On my desktop it's not on "one" page, it's a mile long listing so you get no
> > overview at all. In Gnome2 at least all the apps are categorized. If the
> > graphical user interface _requires_ you to use the keyboard to type the
> > command
>
> It doesn't require you to type the command.
>
> You can search for "bro" and among the results will be Nautilus and
> Firefox (hint: Gnome Shell also searches in the application description,
> and both are "bro"wsers).

I can't believe real usability testing was done on the final version
of GNOME 3.  I keep hearing about all these completely undiscoverable
keyboard shortcuts that appear to be necessary to use GNOME 3 with any
sort of effectiveness.  When I struggled with GNOME 3 for about a week
I didn't discover or use any keyboard shortcuts.

Rich.