GNOME3 and au revoir WAS: systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

Pádraig Brady P at draigBrady.com
Fri Jun 17 11:39:56 UTC 2011

On 17/06/11 12:17, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> On 06/17/2011 01:02 PM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> I can't believe real usability testing was done on the final version
>> of GNOME 3.  I keep hearing about all these completely undiscoverable
>> keyboard shortcuts that appear to be necessary to use GNOME 3 with any
>> sort of effectiveness.  When I struggled with GNOME 3 for about a week
>> I didn't discover or use any keyboard shortcuts.
>
> I think what is required is an application that starts when the desktop is
> launched for the first time and that offers the user a short introduction
> to the basic principles of the desktop.
> Easy discoverability and good usability may sometimes go hand in hand but
> also at times are mutual exclusive. Having a short introductory "pamphlet"
> would help the user understand the basics without resorting to awkward
> tool-tips or pop-ups to nudge the user in the right direction.

KISS. F1 should launch the "help app" by default.
It's configured to do so, but doesn't. I presume there's a bug for that.
After a couple of days I typed "help" in the search box and was enlightened.
This help does have an intro section, but it's long winded.
There should be a TL;DR section presented first with basic navigation and shortcuts.

cheers,
Pádraig.