GNOME3 and au revoir WAS: systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

Domingo Becker domingobecker at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 11:53:29 UTC 2011

2011/6/17 Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com>:
> On 06/17/2011 03:59 PM, Henrik Wejdmark wrote:
>> As has been stated earlier in this thread, having the hot spot in the top
>> left corner and categories far right causes a lot of mouse movements. Common
>> apps in the dash only opens the first instance, after that it switches to
>> the existing instance, effectively doubling the functionality from the
>> activities window.
>
> I use Windows key and control + click for these things correspondingly.
> Middle click launches the app in a new workspace which is convenient as
> well

The shortest way is by using keyboard, as Rahul says:

1. Press the key between Ctrl and Alt.
2. Type in what you search, at least the first letters. After that,
some icons are shown and you may use up and down arrow keys to select.
3. After selecting the application you want, press Enter, and that's it.

Access through keyboard was something missing in previous GNOME. End
users go faster if they only use keyboard (of course, the program and
the desktop environment should be prepared for that).

I forced the change from F14 to F15 in some production desktops, and
this is what end-users said to me: it's a lot faster, it's different,
but a lot faster. It's just a matter to get used to it.

I was sceptic the first time, and probably I would have said the same
as first posts in this thread, but end users have the last and
valuable word, and nobody can't deny it.

I'm just commenting what I saw in an F15 deployment in production.

kind regards

Domingo Becker