GNOME3 and au revoir WAS: systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

Evandro Giovanini efgiovanini at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 12:01:57 UTC 2011

Em Sex, 2011-06-17 às 13:43 +0200, Ralf Corsepius escreveu:
> On 06/17/2011 12:48 PM, Mathieu Bridon wrote:
> > On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 12:20 +0200, Henrik Wejdmark wrote:
>
> > You can search for "bro" and among the results will be Nautilus and
> > Firefox (hint: Gnome Shell also searches in the application description,
> > and both are "bro"wsers).
> A "keyword search" is appropriate when you already know what you are
> looking for but not if you only have "fuzzy imagination" about what you
> are looking for.
>
> That said "keyword search" can't replace "extended browsing" (such as
> gnome 2 supplied through tooltips).
>
> Or differently: How are newcomers or users who are looking for an
> application to perform an infrequent task expected find out what an
> application does rsp. which application is hiding underneath an icon
> with Gnome 3?
>
> Requiring users to launch all of them (which seems to be Gnome 3's
> philosophy, AFAIS) definitely is not the solution.

I would argue that simply typing a keyword related to the task you're
trying to perform is far more effective and easier to use than manually
browsing a long list of applications artificially categorized, specially
in this age of users like my mom, who actually still types "hotmail" on
the web browser search bar in order to read her e-mail.

Evandro