Orphaning istanbul ahead of F-16.

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 15:00:20 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 6:48 AM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> Jeff Spaleta (jspaleta at gmail.com) said:
>> If you want to pick up maintainership for istanbul let me know.  I'm
>> going to be retiring this package in about a week.
>
> What's the preferred screen recorder these days (outside of the shell
> easter egg?)

gtkrecorddesktop maybe?

istanbul has some long standing cruft associated with the special gst
plugin that ships with it that is unrelated to gnome-shell and I don't
have the time to dig into upstream and trying to fix things like
screencasting inside a vm that are related to the gst plugin.

If the only problem was istanbul's UI under gnome3 shell...that would
be worth my time creating with some help from a UI rockstart..the UI
is very thin.

But the real problems are in that gst plugin and how that gst pipeline
it is using works.  If someone who really understands gst pipelines
could show me a pipeline that does the screencapturing magic using
stock gst plugins so I can rip out the special binary plubin and turn
this into a noarch package again...I'd be willing to champion that
solution even into the upstream codebase (assuming its still an active
codebase..which I have my doubts about).  But like I said, I don't
have the interest in trying to figure out what the gst pipeline is.

-jef