GNOME3 and au revoir WAS: systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

夜神 岩男 supergiantpotato at yahoo.co.jp
Fri Jun 17 15:30:16 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 10:04 -0400, Bernd Stramm wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 19:33:18 +0900
> 夜神 岩男 <supergiantpotato at yahoo.co.jp> wrote:
>

> > Considering the frequent calls of "Gnome 3 has failed at its task" or
> > the "GUI has failed if the user must ____" makes me wonder: Where is
> > the task definition or specification against which the implementation
> > has failed?
> >
> > "Doesn't live up to my expectation" is very different from "Doesn't
> > comply with spec" and both are different from "Is a bad design".
>
> How about a spec then of what Gnome3 was trying to achiece, and how
> about those who like it telling us how Gnome3 achieved those things?

And this is precisely my point. At the moment criticism and defense both
seem a bit aimless because we aren't seeing any references to the
interface research someone said happened, interface specifications or
even a concept discussion/summary about what gnome-shell was supposed to
achieve. It was a serious undertaking, so I'm certain they had goals
which were at least clear to someone at some point.

So far I haven't been able to locate whatever dialogue was had withing
the GNOME dev team about the new interface design; I've looked, just
obviously not hard enough or in the wrong places. I'll find it
eventually when I have time, this issue will someday deeply affect my
customers, so this is important to me.

As far as smoothly integrated introductory first-run interface tutorials
or whatever, I strongly suspect that the angst had to this point over
the limited discoverability problems some perceive will prompt a
pleasant adjustment in the nearish future -- but I've been wrong about
these things before.

-Iwao