GNOME3 and au revoir WAS: systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

Bernd Stramm bernd.stramm at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 17:05:08 UTC 2011

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 09:44:45 -0700
Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2011-06-18 at 00:30 +0900, 夜神 岩男 wrote:
> > On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 10:04 -0400, Bernd Stramm wrote:

> > > How about a spec then of what Gnome3 was trying to achiece, and
> > > how about those who like it telling us how Gnome3 achieved those
> > > things?
> >
> > And this is precisely my point. At the moment criticism and defense
> > both seem a bit aimless because we aren't seeing any references to
> > the interface research someone said happened, interface
> > specifications or even a concept discussion/summary about what
> > gnome-shell was supposed to achieve. It was a serious undertaking,
> > so I'm certain they had goals which were at least clear to someone
> > at some point.
>
> https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/

I think it fails on #1:

> Makes it easy for users to focus on their current task and reduces
> distraction and interruption

First, this point assumes that there is *one* current task. That is not
how I work. I have one main task, and I keep an eye on some other
things, like whose is in some chats, what comes up in twitter flows,
etc.

Then, if I want to start up some minor activity, GnomeShell has
replaces the small menus with a full screen menu. My eyes have to
completely refocus, and I have to hunt all over the screen for the
purpose of finding the small infrequently used application I want to
start.

This is a *big* disruption of the main work I was doing, to the goal
listed first was not achieved.

It all looks very pretty though.

--
Bernd Stramm