The behaviour of systemctl.

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Sat Jun 18 13:05:06 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Lennart Poettering
<mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:
>> I'd like to discuss the behaviour of systemctl. See RH bug 713567 for context. To summarise:
>>
>> - 'systemctl --all' pages by default when the output is to tty. This
>>   consumes 50-60+ lines of potentially bug-prone code, and irks the
>>   crap out of me as a system administrator. systemctl's jurisdiction
>>   ends at stdout.
>
> Well, I think in genreal the autopaging behaviour of git and other tools
> is very much appreciated. If you hate that behaviour then you are
> probably in the minority, and we have to agree to disagree on the
> benefits of this behaviour.

While much of "The UNIX way" is folklore, some conventions for the
(GNU/)Linux platform actually exist and have been explicitly
documented, and they haven't disappeared only because git happens to
ignore some of them. (info standards 'Program behavior' 'User
Interfaces')
    Mirek