GNOME3 and au revoir WAS: systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Sat Jun 18 14:28:26 UTC 2011

On 06/17/2011 11:36 PM, Evandro Giovanini wrote:
those who are want to rewrite/modify GNOME3.

> No, I'm not. There are several working extensions *today*, I'm simply
> suggesting that people not 100% satisfied with the default GNOME 3
> experience go out there and experiment with them.
>
> It's definitely easier to install an extension even today than to
> migrate to an entirely different distribution with a completely
> different desktop environment and default set of applications.

  I don't agree with this at all - and you don't need to switch distros
unless systemd drives you up the wall - its way easier to switch from
Gnome 2 to KDE than it is to switch to Gnome 3/Shell + fiddling with
extensions.

  You have no choice but to change DE's now - Gnome 3 is just one choice
- the others may offer more functionality and be a simpler transition -
as a Gnome user thats what I am finding.

  I'd say its definitely easier to change to KDE or XFCE than to Gnome
3hell (speaking as an F14 gnome 2 user).

 3rd party extension stuff - who is checking the code for
privacy/security issues anyway?

 From my perspective so far changing from Gnome-2 to KDE is an easier
and less obstructive change than to Gnome 3hell. I have installed and
plan to try LXDE and XFCE as well ...