GNOME3 and au revoir WAS: systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat Jun 18 17:55:54 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-06-18 at 08:42 -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 8:29 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> > For more 'advanced' users, the keyboard shortcuts are there, and you're
> > probably going to want to use them if you don't want to gnaw your own
> > legs off out of boredom. No, they're not particularly discoverable: it's
> > very difficult to design an interface which makes keyboard shortcuts
> > discoverable without pissing you off once you know them. I mean, when
> > have keyboard shortcuts ever been discoverable? Is alt-tab discoverable?
> > Is alt-f4? No. We just pick them up somewhere and learn them.
>
> is everything that gnome shell can do exposed as a non-keyboard
> interactions? Can you describe to me how I get the screencasting
> utility to start and stop recording without using a keyboard shortcut?
> There's no evidence of that functionality is in the discoverable UI.
>

> I can forgive the Alt to poweroff because poweroff is still exposed in
> the login screen as a non-keyboard interaction option...so it's still
> exposed as a pointing device only feature in the expected interaction
> model of the overall system. But the screencaster utility isn't
> exposed a a discoverable pointing device interaction in the UI itself
> anywhere as far as I can tell..and that makes me marginally grumpy.
> But not as grumpy as the choice to use a 4 finger salute to activate
> it via the keyboard. If you want to ensure a 75% occurrence rate of
> fat-finger execution error...require 4 simultaneous key presses.

That's a pretty unique example. It's really not core desktop
functionality; it's an easter egg, really. I think it was initially put
in purely for the use of GNOME PR / documentation people, and left in
because it wasn't hurting anything, and reviewers might like it.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey