The behaviour of systemctl.

Aaron Sowry aaron+rh at aeneby.se
Sun Jun 19 07:46:29 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 10:25:53PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > Yes, but the difference here is that "ls" does not re-implement something that
> > is already available at the command line.
>
> Hmm???

The formatting done by "ls" is not already available to the user as a command that can be piped to.

> > > And how does that matter for Fedora?
> >
> > It doesn't I guess, but are you writing systemd for Fedora, or as a general
> > replacement for SysV init?
>
> But what's the point of discussing this on fedora-devel then?

Because this seems to be the place where systemd is being developed, tested,
implemented and discussed. If there are other more appropriate channels, please
let me know what they are.

> > > Yes, absolutely. systemd depends on util-linux for the gettys, for fsck,
> > > for mount, for umount, for swapoff, for swapon -- all these commands are
> > > more than just wrappers around kernel functionality and are pretty much
> > > the Linux API for the respective functionality.
> >
> > Sure, but as far as I can tell, util-linux is not in the dependency
> > list.
>
> The README of systemd lists it pretty explicitly including a version
> number.

Alright, I missed that.