The behaviour of systemctl.

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Jun 20 02:59:18 UTC 2011

Martin Langhoff writes:

> Let's have interesting discussion of systemd -- lots of things that
> were familiar are now new and strange. But keep overreactions in
> check, and the discussion technical and productive.

Here's something I just stumbled upon.

alternatives has a parameter --initscript that ties in alternatives with an
initscript. Switching between alternative services results in alternatives
running chkconfig on/off automatically.

There does not appear to be an analogue for systemd. I think that one of
three things needs to be done:

* Have alternatives run "systemctl enable/disable", for systemd-based
services, or

* Make chkconfig know about systemd, so if it gets an on or off for a
service, it executes systemctl enable/disable instead.

* The third solution is even more interesting. Instead of alternatives
enabling or disabling services, directly or indirectly, have systemd run
alternatives itself. systemctl enable or disable maps directly into
alternatives --install and --remove.