Gnome borked?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Jun 20 11:14:07 UTC 2011

Le Lun 20 juin 2011 12:46, Paul Johnson a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> After doing a rather large update to my rawhide box, it seems that it
> no longer wants to play fair with Gnome giving a very unfriendly
> "Something has gone wrong which I can't recover from. You should
> logout and try again" message. Other than some desklet errors, nothing
> seems to be wrong (obviously it is though).
>
> Any ideas what the problem is or how to fix it?

Its both a black screen of death and a black box process. Very frustrating.

In gnome 2 when the session crashed one could still run apps (add the term
shortut to nautilus, right click on the desktop and you have a term to launch
a wm and a browser to look for solutions). In gnome 3 you're finished. (what's
the point of showing the message if there is no option but to kill the
session? to taunt the user? might as well kick back directly into gdm and show
the message here)

--
Nicolas Mailhot