GNOME3 and au revoir WAS: systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Mon Jun 20 17:12:52 UTC 2011

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011, Evandro Giovanini wrote:

> I'm not really sure I get what you're asking for here. GNOME 3 does have
> the "classic" (Win95-like) design installed by default and all you have
> to do is enable fallback mode in order to use it.

1) I was not aware of "classic mode", it was clearly not obvious anymore.
2) F15 should have started in "classic mode" with a pointer on how to
    upgrade to a more modern method if it detected the fedora install was
    an "upgrade".
3) you still did not describe how to enable "fallback mode"

By now, I have returned to F14, with plans to skip F15 alltogether and
hoping F16 will not make the same mistake of turning my desktop power
setup in a single-task tablet environment based on some bad copycat
behaviour that even MacOSX pretty much abanonded as a mistake.

> In addition to that the GNOME Shell is highly customizable and you can
> have a traditional application menu right on the top menu bar if you'd
> like. You can check out the extensions available in Fedora, the ones
> here [1] and several others you can search on Google. The GNOME
> developers are also working on a website to make installing and managing
> extensions as easy as it is with Firefox.

I look forward to see that support in F15/F16

Paul