GNOME3 and au revoir WAS: systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Mon Jun 20 17:22:25 UTC 2011

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> GNOME 3 menu has categories in the right as well but in any case,  the
> common apps are in the dash and using a keyboard with a search as you
> type interface isn't the same as using bash.  Let us not be dramatic.

With "Everything" missing, most of it behind unknown auto-hide locations
on mysterious sections of the desktop, the change was actually pretty
dramatic.

An "expose" copy where all my terminal windows randomly re-arrange and the
font is too small for me to distinguish them. Apps taking over full screen
with auto-front without my control of "always on top". I thought virtual
desktops were broken too but after going back to F14 I was told they
just changed the hotkeys from ctrl-alt left/right to ctrl-alt-up/down.

And whoever decided that the "new message" notification icon of pidgin
should be auto-hide clearly is not using pidgin as their IM client :P

Similar but less annoying things is hiding the network status per default,
nuking my clock preferences, no easy volume control applet, etc etc.

gnome3 was not driven by user feedbak. It was driven by getting vendors
to install it on factory shipped netbooks.

Again, I'm skipping F15 in the hopes that F16 corrects most of these
shortcomings and provides a useful interface again to do more then
"a single task out of a selection of 3 common tasks".

Paul