GNOME3 and au revoir WAS: systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 17:43:58 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 9:51 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> Probably not, but I wouldn't say they're equivalent. I don't think many
> people expect their desktop to have a screen recorder built in. I can't
> think of any other desktop that _does_. When I said Shell was fully
> mouse accessible I was talking about typical operations, not every
> single thing it's potentially capable of. I'm really not sure what the
> point of this side track is; what does anyone gain by you picking very
> small holes in my generalization?

And how exactly are user expectations built for any new and novel
features? That's a deep question indeed. I don't look at GNOME3 as
trying to build something that meets existing expectations as they
stand today. If that was the goal It would just be GNOME2++, and its
clearly not that.

It's hard for me to reconcile your stated rationalization that somehow
this particular announced feature is meant to be an easter egg, when
its documented in the cheat sheet _and_ in the feature page with all
the other important features.  You personally don't see it as
important, or useful, or necessary, fine.  But I'm not convinced that
as a feature its a thrown over the wall piece of cuteness added for a
PR bulletpoint.  I'm more inclined to believe that given the breadth
of the re-design work that has been done and still needs to be done
(Shell is a work-in-progress after all). this particular feature is
just a lower design priority and thus hasn't been adequately flushed
out yet in terms of its discoverable interaction model.

-jef