Heads up: impending IPv6 Test Day

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Jun 21 12:27:23 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-06-02 at 16:48 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> Anything with an  fe80:: prefix is a link local address, which
> is only unique within the scope of a single LAN segment. Thus
> if you want to send traffic to such addresses, you need to specify
> the NIC to send the traffic out from. The vast majority of apps
> using sockets have no way to let you do this.

[dwmw2 at i7 activesyncd]$ ssh fe80::21d:7dff:fe04:dbe2%eth0
Last login: Tue Jun 21 12:40:41 2011 from i7.infradead.org
[dwmw2 at twosheds ~]$

wget fails though:
[dwmw2 at i7 activesyncd]$ wget 'http://[fe80::21d:7dff:fe04:dbe2%eth0]/'
http://[fe80::21d:7dff:fe04:dbe2%eth0]/: Invalid IPv6 numeric address.

And curl is just broken for numeric IPv6 addresses completely:

[dwmw2 at i7 activesyncd]$ curl http://[2001:8b0:10b:1:21d:7dff:fe04:dbe2]/
curl: (3) [globbing] error: bad range specification after pos 9

I think you get a little further if you put the addresses in /etc/hosts.

--
dwmw2