systemd: bugreports for missing service-files

Mathieu Bridon bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jun 21 15:06:05 UTC 2011

> On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 07:56:00 -0700
> Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > To add something actually constructive... someone could propose that
> > services which don't have systemd unit files don't ship for F16
> > (Probably as part of the
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SysVtoSystemd )
> >
> > That is an idea that has pros and cons.  The major pros are that it
> > means that users will have a more consistent experience with
> > reconfiguring the on/off state of their services and we'll be forcing
> > people to add systemd unit files rather than just letting proposed
> > changes just sit around in bugs.
> >
> > The cons are that we may lose some services for F16 because the
> > services aren't ported by the F16 deadline.  However, they could be
> > brought back after F16 is released so that's not a huge con.

That could even be seen as a pro actually.

If a package makes it to F16 with a sysv init script, it can't be ported
to systemd before F17.

With what you suggest, a package that has been blocked in F16 could then
be brought back once ported anytime **during** F16, so users could
benefit from it earlier.

--
Mathieu