find obsolete configs

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Jun 23 14:20:11 UTC 2011

Am 23.06.2011 15:19, schrieb Tom Hughes:
> On 23/06/11 14:08, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>
>> /etc/inittab is an odd case due to the switchover to systemd, and in
>> fact should probibly be removed or replaced with a placeholder at some
>> point.
>
> It is - on my F15 boxes it looks like this:
>
> # inittab is no longer used when using systemd.
> #
> # ADDING CONFIGURATION HERE WILL HAVE NO EFFECT ON YOUR SYSTEM.
> #
> # Ctrl-Alt-Delete is handled by /etc/systemd/system/ctrl-alt-del.target
> #
> # systemd uses 'targets' instead of runlevels. By default, there are two
> main targets:
> #
> # multi-user.target: analogous to runlevel 3
> # graphical.target: analogous to runlevel 5
> #
> # To set a default target, run:
> #
> # ln -s /lib/systemd/system/<target name>.target
> /etc/systemd/system/default.target

depends on how old is your setup and if you manully changed anything there
on mine systemd did select runlevel 3 because switched to it for the
yum-upgrade (where the instructions are missing a hint that only
"sync; kill 1; sync; /sbin/reboot -f" will let you restart) and i had to
search why the runlevel is ignored there

[root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ cat /etc/inittab
# inittab is only used by upstart for the default runlevel.
#
# ADDING OTHER CONFIGURATION HERE WILL HAVE NO EFFECT ON YOUR SYSTEM.
#
# System initialization is started by /etc/event.d/rcS
#
# Individual runlevels are started by /etc/event.d/rc[0-6]
#
# Ctrl-Alt-Delete is handled by /etc/event.d/control-alt-delete
#
# Terminal gettys (tty[1-6]) are handled by /etc/event.d/tty[1-6] and
# /etc/event.d/serial
#
# For information on how to write upstart event handlers, or how
# upstart works, see init(8), initctl(8), and events(5).
#
# Default runlevel. The runlevels used are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode
#   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
id:5:initdefault: