Trusted Boot in Fedora

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Fri Jun 24 14:02:55 UTC 2011

Andrew Haley wrote:
> What I don't understand is why this feature requires a binary blob.
> Surely whatever northbridge code is required can be free software,
> Is this just security through obscurity?

That's a good question. I get the impression that Sinit (as the blob seems to
be called) is from Intel. Intel is a hardware company. Selling licenses for
unfree software isn't their business model, and they're already involved in
writing free drivers for their graphics and wifi chips. If Intel is pushing to
have this feature included in Fedora, what prevents them from setting Sinit
free?

Björn Persson