longstanding pulseaudio bug. any workaround?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Mon Jun 27 17:32:07 UTC 2011

On Mon, 27.06.11 09:41, Jitesh Shah (jitesh.1337 at gmail.com) wrote:

> ..snip..
>
> > Jack sensing is not really ready in the drivers yet. While many HDA
> > drivers now support a jack sensing API via the Linux input subsystem PA
> > does not make use of this and is unliekyl to anytime soon as most folks
> > agree that misusing the input subsystem for jack sensing is a bad idea
> > and a different solution should be sought. (Most likely based on the
> > alsa control interface, see recent alsa-devel discussions about
> > that). But that isn't upstream in neither ALSA nor PA.
> >
> > So, it might sound easy, but actually isn't.
>
> I see.
>
> Is there a way to alleviate the situation?
> eg. What is the commandline to manually switch between Plugged-in and
> plugged-out? (I can set it to some global shortcut key, so that I
> don't have to go reach the sound UI each time).

Usually it's just a matter of switching profiles/ports by hand. You can
do that in the sound capplet in gnome.

If you want to do this on the command line you could do that on the ALSA
level (i.e. find the right contro to switch with "alsamixer -c0", and
then put together an "amixer -c0 ..." line doing the same.) Or you can
do this on the PA level, simply use pacmd to execute the port/profile
control command you want to execute. Use "pacmd help" for help.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.