Trusted Boot in Fedora

Jon Ciesla limb at jcomserv.net
Tue Jun 28 14:08:59 UTC 2011

> On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 09:59 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>>
>> Le Lun 27 juin 2011 15:12, Miloslav Trmač a écrit :
>>
>> > Placing trust in the manufacturer of the hardware puts the user in no
>> > worse position than they were before.
>>
>> I don't call placing absolute vetting power in bios writer hands "no
>> worse
>> position". I don't thing anyone can point to a "good" bios on real world
>> hardware.
>
> I appreciate the disdain - no, really, trust me, I do - but you should
> realize that SMM means you already may have no control over the machine.

Honestly what I think it comes down to in the end, for me, is information.
 We need to see more information in the Feature Request before this should
even have a shot, as the flurry of questions shows.  Additionally, if the
information presented then clearly explains the situation, and all source
code is available and it meets our guidlines, then we're probably better
off with the technology available in Fedora than not.  Vendors and RHEL
customers will likely want it at some point, so we may as well have it in
Fedora so that we can learn how to use it and how to counteract it if need
be.  Of course, if more information shows there to be signifigant conflict
with our guidlines, then it's moot.

-J

> - ajax
> --