Trusted Boot in Fedora

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Wed Jun 29 11:36:44 UTC 2011

Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 10:01 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't call placing absolute vetting power in bios writer hands "no
> > > worse position". I don't thing anyone can point to a "good" bios on
> > > real world hardware.
> >
> > I appreciate the disdain - no, really, trust me, I do - but you should
> > realize that SMM means you already may have no control over the machine.
>
> Well, the fact that BIOSes aren't open source means that anyway.

That's not impossible to change though. I have never dared to try Coreboot
myself, for fear of destroying my motherboard, but in principle it's possible
to replace the BIOS in most current computers with a free implementation. It's
looking like the TPM makes it impossible to replace Sinit with a free clone.

Björn Persson