best practices packaging web applications

Jon Ciesla limb at jcomserv.net
Tue Mar 1 15:34:28 UTC 2011

Ismael Olea wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> I'm studing the packaging of a non trivial web application, mostly
> based on php+js+mysql. I've review the wiki looking for policies and
> other staff and this is everything I got:
>
>     http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingGuidelines#Web_Applications
>     http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:PHP
>
> and
>
>     https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JavaScript_libraries_packaging_guideline_draft
>

> Do you know if I'm missing some relevant information or policies?
>
> And, what «best practices» would you recommend to review, at least in
> the form of current packages? I'm considering zarafa, xinha and wordpress.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Ismael Olea <ismael at olea.org <mailto:ismael at olea.org>>
> Planeta OLEA

Hi, I'm Jon Ciesla, I maintain a number of web application packages for
Fedora, including drupal, moodle, gallery2, and wordpress.  First off,
zarafa, zinha, and wordpress are all already in Fedora, so hopefully
that will save you duplicating effort.  Secondly, a good way to learn
about packaging generally is to look at existing spec files.  I'm not
holding up mine as paragons of excellence, but I'd recommend having a
look at specs for all of the above to get a feel for how they work.

-J

--
in your fear, seek only peace
in your fear, seek only love