git push fails

Darryl L. Pierce dpierce at redhat.com
Wed Mar 2 13:06:05 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 02, 2011 at 07:17:16AM -0500, Neal Becker wrote:
> How do I debug this?
>
>  git push
> To ssh://nbecker@pkgs.fedoraproject.org/mercurial
>  ! [rejected]        master -> master (non-fast-forward)
> error: failed to push some refs to
> 'ssh://nbecker@pkgs.fedoraproject.org/mercurial'
> To prevent you from losing history, non-fast-forward updates were rejected
> Merge the remote changes (e.g. 'git pull') before pushing again.  See the
> 'Note about fast-forwards' section of 'git push --help' for details.

This is a non-fast forwarding push; i.e., it has the same end patch as
the destination, which is the "non-fast forward" part. I hit this
problem several times at work.

It's blocked since there's no way for git to go through the list of all
commits on both your repo and the remote repo to make sure that your
push isn't eliminating some historical patch in the remote. That's why
it's blocked by default.

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/