Guile 2.0.0

Miroslav Lichvar mlichvar at redhat.com
Tue Mar 8 16:46:16 UTC 2011

Hi,

guile-2.0.0 has been released, there are some important changes.

- The license changed from LGPLv2+ to LGPLv3+.

- The libguile API changed and there were also some changes in the
  language itself. Recompiling depending packages (with patching C
  code) probably won't be enough, patches for Scheme code might be
  necessary.

- Guile now automatically compiles Scheme code to bytecode. For Scheme
  files that don't have the .go files beside them, they are generated
  and stored in $HOME/.cache/guile/ccache. It can be disabled (with
  huge performance penalty) by setting GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=0. I think
  we might want to pregenerate them and store them in rpm, either in
  the spec file manually, or in a rpm script, similarly to python, but
  I'm not sure we should try to generate .go file for every .scm found
  in the buildroot as it might be a code for a different Scheme
  implementation.

Suggestions? Do we want to keep this in a special rawhide koji target
for now?

Full changelog
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=guile.git;a=blob_plain;f=NEWS

A scratch build if anyone wants to play with it now

Repoquery lists these packages as using libguile:

TeXmacs-1.0.7.9-3.fc16.src.rpm
autogen-5.9.4-8.fc15.src.rpm
coot-0.6.2-3.20110225svn3399.fc16.src.rpm
denemo-0.8.20-2.fc15.src.rpm
drgeo-1.1.0-18.fc15.src.rpm
freehoo-3.5.3-4.20100314cvs.fc15.src.rpm
freetalk-3.2-5.fc15.src.rpm
g-wrap-1.9.11-4.fc12.src.rpm
geda-gaf-1.6.2-1.fc16.src.rpm
gnome-games-2.91.90-1.fc15.src.rpm
gnotime-2.3.0-8.fc15.src.rpm
gnubik-2.3-8.fc15.src.rpm
gnucash-2.4.3-1.fc16.src.rpm
gnurobots-1.2.0-8.fc15.src.rpm
gnutls-2.10.5-1.fc16.src.rpm
guile-cairo-1.4.0-9.fc15.src.rpm
guile-gnome-platform-2.16.1-4.fc12.src.rpm
gwave-2-18.20090213snap.fc13.src.rpm
libctl-3.0.2-10.fc12.src.rpm
lilypond-2.13.52-1.fc16.src.rpm
mdk-1.2.5-3.fc15.src.rpm
rumor-1.0.3b-4.fc15.src.rpm
trackballs-1.1.4-14.fc15.src.rpm
xbindkeys-1.8.3-2.fc15.src.rpm

And these as depeding on guile in some other way:

graphviz-2.26.3-4.fc16.src.rpm
pingus-0.7.2-13.fc15.src.rpm

--
Miroslav Lichvar