Java Webapp installation

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Mar 10 08:55:47 UTC 2011

Le Mer 9 mars 2011 15:44, Stanislav Ochotnicky a écrit :
> I've been asked to package apache-solr [1] in Fedora. This is a java
> library and webapp posing as a frontend to lucene for searching.
>
> Packaging java jars is not a problem, but there are more problems with
> webapp part. I made it into subpackage apache-solr-webapp. Ant build
> creates war file (basically a zip with metadata and dependencies
> bundled). I expand this war file and replace dependencies with
> symlinks to %{_javadir}. I then place content of this directory inside
> /usr/share/java/webapps/apache-solr/. This makes it possible to use
> webapp in container (tomcat/jetty) while enabling us to update
> dependencies independently.

This is nothing new and actually why jpackage-utils contains a
build-jar-directory command that populates a directory with symlinks (and a
rebuild-jar-directory that refreshes them if necessary)

/usr/share/java/webapps/ is likely to conflict with this command logic BTW.
/usr/share/java/ was supposed to contain only jars on jpackaged systems
originally.

> I was thinking about adding default configuration for tomcat inside
> yet another subpackage. But this would be just one simple xml file
> inside /etc/tomcat6/Catalina/localhost/. Plus solr needs additional
> configuration:
>  * creating of SOLR_HOME directory and placing it somewhere, presumably
>  /var/lib/solr). I have example solr home dir in %doc, but it is generic
>  and configuration is not really usable in that state for anything
>  other than serve as a commented example.
>
> All in all seems like too much of a hassle for little gain.

It's not little gain. If you find it too complex to do manually, the usual
solution is to write rpm macros or shell helpers to help deploy this kind of
webapp.

--
Nicolas Mailhot