Updating SSL keys on fedoraproject.org 2011-03-10

Petr Pisar ppisar at redhat.com
Mon Mar 14 15:52:01 UTC 2011

On 2011-03-11, Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> Once upon a time, Ralf Ertzinger <fedora at camperquake.de> said:
>> this document is about a quite special case (regarding lawfully binding
>> digital signatures) and not about SSL in general.
>
> I took a short look at software support for other SSL hashes:
>
> - OpenSSL: openssl only offers md5, sha1, md2, mdc2, md4 for generating
>   a signing request or signing a cert

Not true:

$ openssl req -newkey rsa:2048 -sha256 -new -utf8 -out test.req
[...]
$ openssl req -noout -text <test.req
Certificate Request:
[...]
    Signature Algorithm: sha256WithRSAEncryption

The openssl FOO usage output is out-dated. You need to reuse options
from other subcommands (e.g. openssl dgst -h).

> - NSS: certutil doesn't seem to offer the option to set the digest (I
>   didn't see one in -H output and there's no man/info page)

NSS is under-documented. E.g. I could not figure out how to select
a hardware cryptoengine.

> - GnuTLS: certtool supports up to SHA512 for signing, although it only
>   used SHA-1 for a signing request (it appeared to ignore the --hash
>   option when generating a request)

Yes, there is a bug with selecting hash algorithm.

-- Petr