Orphaning and retiring HAL

Nicola Soranzo nsoranzo at tiscali.it
Wed Mar 16 15:28:58 UTC 2011

Alle mercoledì 16 marzo 2011, Matthias Clasen ha scritto:
> On Wed, 2011-03-16 at 15:50 +0100, Nicola Soranzo wrote:
> > See also the Feature page:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/HalRemoval
> >
> > I have been updating the dependency list there for almost a year.
>
> Wow, you've done a nice job there, thanks for keeping that uptodate.

Thanks!

> I think for F16, we should probably open a feature page for the goal of
> getting gnome-vfs2 off the live cd.

Since gnome-vfs2 requires hal-libs, this is the same goal!
Otherwise, as mentioned in the Feature page, we can disable HAL support in
gnome-vfs2, like Debian is doing. In this case, gnome-vfs2 should fall back to
/etc/mtab, but probably the functionalities of some programs may be affected
(e.g. in Inkscape the "Import from Open Clip Art Library").

Nicola
--
Nicola Soranzo, Ph.D.

My PGP key: http://nsoranzo.altervista.org/key.asc