Orphaning and retiring HAL

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Mar 16 17:36:53 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-03-15 at 12:42 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> I'm planning to orphan the hal and hal-info packages in F15 and and
> retire them in rawhide.
>
> HAL has been dead upstream for 3 years now, and all development has
> moved into udev, and the u* daemons like upower, udisks and urfkill.
> The original maintainer and most of the original team want HAL dead.
>
> The things that depend on HAL in F15 seem to be:

> libconcord-0:0.23-2.fc15.i686

I'd really appreciate if someone could help port this over to udev; it
shouldn't really be very hard but it's slightly beyond me, or at least
it'd take me quite a while whereas it'd take someone smarter very little
time, I suspect. libconcord is one of those things which does one job
which nothing else does; it talks to Logitech Harmony programmable
remote controls. If we lose libconcord, we lose the ability to manage
Harmony remotes, there's just no other way to do it (besides finding a
Windows system). thanks! If anyone's interested I can point up exactly
how it uses HAL (for hardware discovery, you will be unsurprised to
learn), just poke me on or off list.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey