F15 ext4 discard option - why not default?

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 11:52:24 UTC 2011

2011/3/16 Dariusz J. Garbowski <thuforuk at yahoo.co.uk>:
> On 16/03/11 01:03 PM, Michał Piotrowski wrote:

>>> OK, haven't tested those.
>>
>> So far, I can not say anything about it. I just installed system.
>
> I've been using OCZ Vertex 2 with ext4 and discard for about a month now.
> No issues.

Duration really isn't a great indicator of whether this works or not.
It's more about the access patterns and disk usage than just plain
time.  E.g. my netbook has a SSD in it and about the only disk access
it gets is writing stuff to the firefox cache.  Doing that for a month
is going to be way less interesting than say, running a Fedora mirror
on it.

I'd still exercise caution with this for now.

josh