Changes to polkit-desktop-policy

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Thu Mar 17 18:41:32 UTC 2011

Colin Walters píše v Čt 17. 03. 2011 v 13:45 -0400:
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 1:29 PM, Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > Are we turning on the wheel group in sudo?
>
> It would clearly match doing so for pkexec, but would then be bizarre
> because the Fedora installer still asks you to make up a root
> password.  The whole thing is really a mess without any plan for where
> things are going.
>
> Is there any plan, anywhere?  Where was the design behind firstboot
> adding the checkbox?

Having such a facility would probably make life for quite a few users
easier - but the interface does need more thought.

The checkbox currently reads: "Add to Administrators group".

* There is no "Administrators" group, users won't know what has
  actually happened.

* This concept new, and not familiar to any group of existing users:

  - UNIX users know what a "group" is, but never heard of an
    "Administrators" group (n.b. with a capital :) )

  - Windows users know what an "Administrators group" is, but
    it behaves differently: "Why can't I browse to /var/log/audit
    with Nautilus?  It does not let me view the directory, and does
    not present me with an option to override this.  I'm an
    administrator!"

  - I don't really know about newbies - I suspect something like "Huh,
    administrator?  This is my home machine.  Do I check this for my
    computer-smart brother-in-law?  Or will this make me an
    administrator at work if I bring this computer into the office?"

We can make the UNIX users happy easily enough, by changing the label to
"Add to wheel group", but that makes the user experience for others even
worse.

Also, if this checkbox is in firstboot, it probably needs to be in
system-config-users as well.

This probably should have been a "proper" F15 feature.
    Mirek