Need help with octave packages

Jerry James loganjerry at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 20:07:41 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Orion Poplawski <orion at cora.nwra.com> wrote:
> - New octave packaging guidelines have been submitted to the FPC.  I think
> there were some questions, but I haven't been contacted directly.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/Octave
> https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/61

Thanks for doing this.  I'm currently trying to package Csdp [1],
which comes with an Octave interface, and have been struggling with
how to do that, since I know nothing about Octave.  That packaging
draft really helped.  I have some minor comments on it.

First, it shows that a noarch Octave package needs to BR octave-devel.
 But it looks like octave-devel is only useful for arch-specific
Octave packages, isn't it?  So shouldn't a noarch Octave package just
BR octave?

Second, the %octave_pkg_build macro doesn't quite do what I need.  The
Csdp sources aren't in the right structure for octave's "pkg build"
command, so I have to move stuff around, create a DESCRIPTION file,
etc.  The end result is that I need to do this:

%octave_cmd pkg build '-verbose'
%{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}.%{_arch} csdp

on a directory named "csdp" in the unpacked sources, rather than on
%SOURCE0.  Is this unusual?  If so, perhaps there is no point in
dealing with it.

Now I just have to figure out why Octave is throwing an error on the
very last step of the test code and I think the package is ready to
go...