[GSoC] Avahi repositories for yum

Yin Qiu qiuyin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 17:48:13 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm Yin from China. As the subject line says, I'd like to apply for the summer project of adding automatic repo discovery for yum. I've personally contacted Roland McGrath, who is supposed to be the mentor for this project, and he told me to discuss this with the community. I don't have idea which mailing list is best suitable for this discussion, so I'm sorry for my cross-posting.

I'll briefly talk about my understanding about the idea. In the spirit of "dividing the project into separate pieces", I suggest the final deliverables include:

1) a script to help repositories that reside on nfs or http servers to advertise their presence. Does this mean we shall add a new service type, say _yum._tcp, to zeroconf?
2) a plugin that, once enabled, automatically discovers published yum services and adds it to the pool.
3) modification to anaconda to incorporate automatic yum repo detection.

Any comments? Thanks.

--
Yin Qiu
Nanjing University, China