libmysqlclient soname version bumped by upstream

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Mon Mar 21 16:28:47 UTC 2011

So I started to package up mysql 5.5.10, and was surprised to read this
in the release notes:

	Incompatible Change: The shared library version of the client
	library was increased to 18 to reflect ABI changes, and avoid
	compatibility problems with the client library in MySQL
	5.1. Note that this is an incompatible change between 5.5.10 and
	earlier 5.5 versions, so client programs that use the 5.5 client
	library should be recompiled against the 5.5.10 client library.

This is probably a good thing, but it's something they should have done
*before* declaring 5.5.x GA, methinks :-(

Now I have no problem with pushing such a change into rawhide, but what
shall I do about Fedora 15?  It doesn't seem very nice to force a soname
bump after alpha.  On the other hand, the alternatives seem worse:

* never upgrade F15 past mysql 5.5.9

* patch the releases to continue using the .16 version number

* revert F15 to 5.1.x release series

I don't much like any of these choices, but I don't have a time machine.
Any opinions about what to do?

			regards, tom lane